css3menu.com

Our History

In 1853, Elder Andrew D. Northcutt organized the Christian Church in Taylorville with a membership of 35. Our first church building was erected on the corner of Washington and Adams in 1854 and remained the center of worship until a second church building was built on the same site and because of a generous donation by the Davis family, it was named the Davis Memorial Christian Church.

In 1974, our current building was begun at 1500 West Franklin St, where today our members congregate each Sunday to worship God. A fellowship hall and kitchen were added in 1990 and the chancel was remodeled in 1994 to allow baptisms to again take place in the sanctuary.

The church began a preschool in 1979 and it continues to serve three and four year olds in our community during the school year.

Members of the congregation serve the community meals on wheels, provide for the less fortunate through support of the local food pantry and regular donations to Week of Compassion. We provide weekly communion to shut-ins and those in our local hospital.

Members participate in Christian Women's and Men's Fellowships, sing in our choirs, play the chimes during worship and accept the roles and responsibilities of serving on the committees of the church as well as the church board itself. We are a Christian community committed to sharing God's invitation to relationships, friends and service.

Ministers who have served our church in the last fifty years include: Reverend Charles A. Day (1949-1966), Reverend Ronald Frazier (1966-1976), Reverend James Whitaker (who is also Pastor Emeritus, 1977-1997), Reverend Randy Myers(1999-2002) and Dr. Lonnie and Reverend Vicki Southern (2003-2010).